Saturday 21 November 2009

How to get ahead in CGI

We used this scene in Last Zombie Standing but during the 48 hour period I only managed a low resolution fluid sim. Here's what it should have looked like:

As I'm trying to get faster at these techniques, I always look at what the time constraints were for any particular shot. For this one they included researching tutorials and examples (this can often be the most time consuming part!), finding a decent freeware spine model; fine-tuning the position of the alpha mask; trying out different variations of the fluid flow; baking at a half-decent fluid resolution. Rendering was surprisingly quick but there aren't many objects in the scene apart from the spine and the fluid mesh.

For any composite effect to work you need to have some kind of interaction between the live action and virtual elements. Examples include lighting, shadows, foreground objects, reflections or physical interactions - in this shot the fluid is partially obstructed by some of the leaves on the ground.

2 comments:

Kaori said...

Hey you! its been a while, hope alls good! Are you designing a zombie????? I didn't quite get it. Hm.. If it is a movie, let me know the title of it because I just signed up for Netflix! Hahah I'm stoked I love netflix already and its only been 3 days :p

Sci-Fi Gene said...

Hi Kaori, good to hear from you again. The title of the movie is Last Zombie Standing. It's a short film made for a 48 hour film competition (there are some older posts about the making) and it will be on YouTube very shortly - watch this space.