Saturday 18 April 2009

Three favourite books

Looking forward to a screening of the 48 hour competition short films this weekend - our team, Second Foundation, will be there in force. Last year's event produced a high quality winner and plenty of enjoyable entries - my review here, the films can also be seen here. Moving on:

My relationship with Terry Pratchett's novels seems to be different from most other fans I have spoken to. For me the majority of the Discworld series are amusing and readable satire but not that special. There are exceptions - the recent novel Night Watch is excellent and Sam Vimes joins the pantheon of time-travellers sharing the forename Sam (Sam Beckett, Sam Tyler etc...)

The stand-out Pratchett books are the first Discworld novel (The Colour of Magic) and two other novels, Dark Side of the Sun and Strata. The first is well-liked but quite different from the later, much more satirical books - it's a tale of magic with a semi-scientific feel, reminiscent of Ursula K. le Guin in terms of "hard" magical laws including conservation of momentum - and to my mind the humour is more original and works better.

Strata stands out as an attempt to link Discworld, or a discworld, with the real universe in a sci-fi setting. It's a creationist story with ancient races creating younger races and laying down fossil records to disguise their origins, and this is another book with a mind-blowing, emotionally resonant twist in the tale.

The third book, Dark Side of the Sun is pre-Discworld space opera and I don't know anyone else who's read it although there are ideas in Alastair Reynold's fiction that make me wonder.... Read it. Discworld's gain has been space opera's loss. I may write more about this book another day, if I can find my copy.

4 comments:

McTodd said...

I've not read Dark Side of the Sun, but I have read Strata (many years ago and again more recently) and it's a magnificent novel! It really does evoke the old Gernsbackian Sense Of Wonder, with layer upon layer (strata, if you like) of wonderfully ingenious (poignant, even) revelations. You're the only other person I've encountered who has actually read it!

Sci-Fi Gene said...

Strata is great, it takes the Discworld concept but gives it a completely new spin. However I strongly recommend you get hold of a copy of Dark Side immediately.

McTodd said...

I took your advice and orered a copy a few days ago, and it still hasn't arrived yet! Fume, fume...

Sci-Fi Gene said...

What is the world coming to? If all else fails try searching for the e-book version online.